Jump to content


legal rights when renting a room

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Martha3g


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm renting a room in a friend apartment. The lease is under her name. When I move in she was living alone and I was using all apliances in the kitchen. after a year her boyfriend move in and she has been puting away some of the cooking apliances. Now the microwave oven has no plate to put food inside. The only thing I can use is the stove and frige. What can I do and what are my rights?


#2 Fallen


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,144 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

If you have a long-term lease in effect vs. a monthly agreement, there'd be a practical place you could go, I suppose, in terms of breach of contract and expecting specific performance.  Can't know whether you can prove that the room came with use of X-Y-Z appliances. 

It's not clear what you have in mind -- you can do, as a practical matter, pretty much any thing you like.  You planning on taking her to court over it?  If you're asking whether you could successfully sue her over your inability to use the microwave just because a rotating plate is missing or, say, a mixer, I'd say a court isn't likely to side with you.

Naturally, you don't say what she has had to say about her passive-aggressive nonsense.  I'd ask her to let you know that she wants you gone; if you're a tenant at will on a monthly basis, it's not as though she's not free to issue you a termination of tenancy notice and end the relationship.

What your rights are depends on the terms of your contract and the laws of your unnamed state.  You can google your state's name and the words "landlord tenant" (naturally without the quotes) and start reading up.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users