Texas squatters rights

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FairTaxFan

FairTaxFan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

In Texas what are "squatters" rights? My wife and I are in dispute over the chances that a renter could take our homestead from us like the Texas guy on CNN news who moved into a foreclosed home for 3yrs on a $16.00 security deposit and now declares himself to be the sole, rightful owner of the home. What's at stake in my case is that I let my neighbor move into my next door mobile home. Because Hurricane Ike heavily damaged the structure, I wasn't sure it was even liveable, but the neighbors wanted to try, so I let them stay without paying any rent other than mowing the yard. My wife and I live in another mobile home on the same plot of ground, about an acre in size. My wife never liked the neighbors and wants me to evict them for fear they may stay and declare the mobile home and the lot belongs to them, like the man on CNN news. So does my wife have anything to fear from Texas law? If so, what are our options for protecting our property? I don't feel it's worth much anyway, but I think my wife has more of a vendictive spirit at work since she hates them for calling her a #### because she complained to them about their barking lab. My wife is confrontational -- she wants me to do the confronting and I don't want to. I want to let sleeping dogs lie. But honestly, do we have anything to fear about Texas squatters rights and our mobilehomes and lot?

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

FairTaxFan said...

But honestly, do we have anything to fear about Texas squatters rights and our mobilehomes and lot?

Squatting, also known as adverse possession, is when a person acquires another's land without having to pay the owner. The squatter's "possession must have been inconsistent with and hostile to the rights of the true owner."

Texas law states the squatter must actually use the property consistently and visibly for a period of time without the owner trying to remove the squatter. The squatter must claim a right to the property. Joint use or a belief of ownership is not a qualifier. In Texas, there are four statutes of limitation. Each statute's requirements are different. There are three-year, five-year, 10-year, and 25-year statues. These statutes don't include any periods where the owner was legally disabled.

If the squatter is claiming land that is not enclosed, the acreage received won't be more than 160 acres.If the land is enclosed, the squatter may receive all enclosed land peaceably possessed. If the squatter has a registered deed, the deed's specifications hold after 10 years.

Hope that helps.

FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users