Jump to content


Dual citizenship

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Holland1951


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hi! I am a permanent resident of Florida (married to an American citizen) and would like to become a citizen myself, but as I am from the UK I don't want to give up my citizenship there. Can I get dual citizenship? and how do I go about it.

Also as a citizen of the U.S.A. could I sponsor any of my adult children to move here, and roughly how long would it take.

Thank you.

#2 RetCopPrlgl


    Silver Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

You can find information about dual citizenship HERE as it pertains to the U.S.

While the U.S. Government does recognize dual citizenship, it is not encouraged because of the problems it can cause for the person possessing dual citizenship.

Although there should be no problem if you want to be a U.S. citizen, it would be up to the Government of Holland as to whether you'd remain a citizen there. 

For example, if a foreign country grants automatic citizenship to a U.S. citizen (through whatever means there are available), the person remains a U.S. citizen and enjoys dual citizenship.   If a U.S. citizen were to apply for citizenship in another country, it could jeopardize the U.S. citizenship status.  (This generally applies only if the U.S. citizen "denounces" his citizenship, but not always.)

Currently, (as of October 2011) the Dutch government is considering a change to the dual citizenship laws when a Dutch citizen marries a U.S. citizen (or citizen of another country outside the Kingdom of the Netherlands).  If the law passes (not sure if it has yet), it will eliminate dual citizenship for Dutch Nationals who marry a foreign citizen and apply for citizenship in their spouse's country.

Excerpt from the Dutch law as of 2003:

You will not lose your Dutch nationality:
  1. if you were born
    in the country of your other nationality and have(/had) your principal
    residence there when you acquire(d) the nationality of that country;
  2. if,
    before you turned 18, you had your principal residence in the country
    of your other nationality for an uninterrupted period of five years; or
  3. if you are married to a person who possesses the nationality you wish to acquire.

Note that if you become a U.S. citizen, the U.S. will require you to enter the U.S. (if you travel abroad) with a U.S. passport.  Holland will likely require you enter that country with a Dutch passport.

Holland1951 said...

Also as a citizen of the U.S.A. could I sponsor any of my adult children to move here, and roughly how long would it take.
That is a complicated question, especially since you'd be a dual citizen.  It might be best to consult with an Immigration Attorney in the U.S.

I am not an attorney. My comments are made based on my training and experience as well as diligent research.  I am also not perfect, therefore, I will accept constructive criticism, if tendered with respect.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

The United States does not favor dual nationality as a matter of policy, but does recognize its existence in individual cases. You may want to read the U.S. Department of State: Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Citizenship and Dual Nationality. I also suggest you consult with a local Florida Immigration Lawyer to advise you further on this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users