property tax

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mjarivers

mjarivers

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

In order to vote in an election to raise the property tax of property owners, shouldn't only property owners be legal to vote in the election?

Citizens whom rent property shouldn't be allowed in to vote in the election to increase property tax?

Can you please answer this question?

What is the thought on this question?

Has it ever been ruled by a judge that a renter and non property tax paying citizen is not eligible to vote in an election to raise property taxes?

Thank you

M** A**

[This post has been
edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator]

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

mjarivers said...

In order to vote in an election to raise the property tax of property owners, shouldn't only property owners be legal to vote in the election?

I would assume so. You may wish to contact you local district for clarification.

mjarivers said...

Citizens whom rent property shouldn't be allowed in to vote in the election to increase property tax?

I would agree but the law in your district may say otherwise.

mjarivers said...

Has it ever been ruled by a judge that a renter and non property tax paying citizen is not eligible to vote in an election to raise property taxes?

You may wish to consult with local counsel regarding this issue. You may wish to use the FindLaw Lawyers Directory. Many of the lawyers do offer a free consultation. Hope that helps.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:05 AM

"In order to vote in an election to raise the property tax of property owners, shouldn't only property owners be legal to vote in the election?"

That would be nonsensical, since not all citizens of a given place will own property; in any event what "should" be and what is are two different things.

"Citizens whom rent property shouldn't be allowed in to vote in the election to increase property tax?"

Is this a statement or question?  In any event, it wouldn't be possible to exclude only X voters instead of Y voters. 

"Can you please answer this question?"

Not clear why you thought this was necessary.

"What is the thought on this question?"

... or this.

"Has it ever been ruled by a judge that a renter and non property tax paying citizen is not eligible to vote in an election to raise property taxes?"

Even in the history of the world, I doubt it (though what is relevant depends on state law where you are, which is unknown).  In any event, the boards aren't really here to expect others to do free legal research in any event (if you provide relevant detail on where you are and someone feels like doing it or happens to know, they may obviously choose to answer).

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users