Can i Renew permanent resident card?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 detective52

detective52

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Im a 35 year old male, been in the United States for 20 years with a permanent resident card and i live in greeley, colorado (weld county).  In november of 2008 i gave a ride to a person who had just killed someone, but i had no idea what he had done. Police issued a warrant for my arrest, they charged me with accesory to a second degree murder. i turned myself in, since i had nothing to do with it. i posted bail and got out in less than an hour. i went thru the whole court prosses and i pleaed guilty in the plea bargaining step. ( to a level 5 felony) and they gave me 2 year probation. in august  2011 my green card expires and i need to renew it and i asked a few lawyers if there is any chance of lossing my green card because of that level 5 felony and they all answer differently. i really need to know what can happen, if i can get the renewal denied or ill be ok? is pleading guilty in the plea bargaing being convicted or not? as i understand if you been convicted of a felony your status as an alien in the united states might also be affected or might be denied tge right to hold public office.

****** if it helps, i am a first time offender, and they gave me the right to seal my case after completing my probation.

thank you so much in advance.

#2 FindLaw_Sarah

FindLaw_Sarah

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

The answer really depends on the individual circumstances.

You can use these resources for assistance:
Good luck.

#3 Immigration_Lawyer_PE

Immigration_Lawyer_PE

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Deportation is based on the statute of conviction (which you haven't provided). Retain counsel to assess possible deportation (and mandatory detention) prior to filing to renew your card.

Philip Eichorn
Philip Eichorn Co. LPA
Selected as a Rising Star in Ohio for Immigration Law

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users