ma labor laws on payroll tampering

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ConcernedChristian

ConcernedChristian

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

An incident happened a week and a half ago involving the correct type of shoes on a warehouse dock in Ma.. although I know I was wrong I had to come to that conclusion on my own after the heat conversation with my boss. Now he never said anything to me about it again until Thursday of this week. And he stated that he want restitution in the matter of 5 1/2 hours off my pay, and he also said that he already had done something. I did not know what but, I found out after going over my trip sheet that he took out 4 hours of my pay. I feel he stepped over his bounds but need to know if he had a legal right to do this. I always thought they could not take hours off for this unless I signed off on this. And my pastor explained this in full detail being a business owner himself. Can he do this legally yes or no. Also does he have the legal right to ask for compensation.

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,923 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Your post is a bit garbled, from a stranger's perspective.  You don't bother to mention what the compensation or restitution was for, though one can guess it had something to do with shoes.  :)

If you're non-exempt and an employer's trying to dock earned pay for  time already worked, that wouldn't be lawful.  If you mean change your hours/shorten your work week, that wouldn't be unlawful.   If someone's taking $$ for time already worked/earned from check, you can file a wage claim with the state labor dept.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users