Tax laws for hotel stays over 30 days.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikki222

mikki222

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

I am currently living in a hotel in Reno, NV... waiting for a house.  We have been told by many people that after 30 days of stay they can't charge tax.

We know of a few of the people who have been here as long or longer than us and they aren't charged taxes but the hotel continues to charge us taxes... What is the law on this?

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,531 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

"We have been told by many people that after 30 days of stay they can't charge tax."

So ask the "many people" to cite the statute.  Have no idea about such a law, but I suppose you can pester the state tax revenue folks.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 Lampie

Lampie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

Not sure if this is also true in Nevada, but it is true in Texas, from personal experience.  In fact, the hotel refunded the hotel tax that they had collected for the first 30 days.  Something to do with a changed status in the tax code from transient to resident.   Look up the Nevada Tax code and search for hotel or motel or boardinghouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users