Texas Left Turn Laws

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 meganm127

meganm127

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

Hi. My boss' cousin is a Houston Police Officer and she said that the Police Officer informed her that in Texas, when turning left, there are 2 different signal signs; "Left Turn Signal" and "Left on Green Arrow Only".

"Left on Green Arrow Only" obviously means that you cannot turn left no matter what, until the green arrow gives you permission.

"Left Turn Signal" apparently means that if the traffic traveling in the same direction as you (before getting over into the turn lane) has a green light then you can turn left, even though your signal technically shows red, if no one is coming from the opposite direction.

Is that correct? I've tried to find an answer to this and even pulled the Texas Transportation Code & Regulations online but I cannot find the actual answer to this.

#2 ordsman

ordsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

If there is a light in front of the left turn lane you have to follow the signal given.  It does not have to be a green arrow, it just has to be a green light.  Also, you can turn left onto a one way road coming from the right to the left when a red light is displayed for the left lane.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users