Unpaid Tickets - Statue of Limitations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KyssMe143

KyssMe143

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

Back in 2000-2002 I accummulated $1400 in unpaid traffic tickets, and my license was suspended for not paying them. My license has been suspended since 2002 and there has been no activity on my license whatsoever since then (over 8 years now). I was told by a representative of the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) in Tallahassee that after 7 years with no activity on a license, the unpaid tickets must be purged, but that it is handled by the courthouse in the respective county of the ticket, not the DMV. I have contacted the court in Orange County, and they affirmed that unpaid tickets do get purged after 7 years of inactivity, but that they do it as they get to the case, and most times it could take 10+ years -- they did purge one ticket for me though. I then contacted Osceola County, and they said that unpaid tickets never get purged no matter how much time passes.

I am totally stumped on what to do about this, and I don't have a source of income so I can't hire an attorney. I do have a car, but I cannot get insurance or drive it without a license and I desperately need to be able to drive in order to find a decent job. I've contacted various "Free Legal Aid" places on the web, but none of them will give me the time of day because to them "traffic tickets" are too petty to deal with. I don't have access, nor the knowledge, to look this matter up and see if there is a law or procedure that says unpaid tickets are purged after 7 years of inactivity. If I could just find it in writing, then I could file some kind of motion with the courts to force them to follow said law/rule and purge my tickets.

Please help me in any way you can, or refer me to someone whom you think may be able to.

#2 FindLaw_Sarah

FindLaw_Sarah

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:39 AM

The relevant statute of limitations will depend on your jurisdiction. What state are you located in? You can check FindLaw's Traffic Ticket Center for more information. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users