Section 8 disclosure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blackjack0417

blackjack0417

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:31 AM

Is it the landlord's responsibility to disclose that the property is section 8 housing to a potential tenent?

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

Not clear what you think "Section 8 housing" means, but no, the landlord isn't obligated to tell you that some tenants get public assistance with paying their rent.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 blackjack0417

blackjack0417

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

What I meant by "section 8" housing is:

Are potential tenents allowed to know how many "vouchers" are being accepted by an apartment community?

If not, why isn't that information available; because it could potentially help a future tenent in making their choice to live in that community.

Statistics show, that crime rate goes up in areas that are government subsidized.

#4 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

Please post follow-ups as a "reply/answer" to the existing thread vs. posting a new question.

"Are potential tenents allowed to know how many "vouchers" are being accepted by an apartment community?"

I'm not sure why you're asking this question a different way:   no, you aren't entitled to know how many tenants are receiving public assistance.

"Statistics show, that crime rate goes up in areas that are government subsidized."

Sorry, but "areas"?  In any event, if you give a damn about crime statistics in a given neighborhood/property, duh, you check the crime statistics for a given neighborhood/property (if your local papers don't publish them, you naturally contact local law enforcement to ask which public government entity keeps all the stats if they do not).  You don't just assume because of Y that Z is true.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#5 blackjack0417

blackjack0417

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Didn't realize my question would "offend" to the point of, "if you give a damn......", "...duh....". What are you, like 8 yrs. old? I didn't post my question to get such an immature and condesending response, I truly thought I would receive an answer from an adult professional that could keep personal views and judgements out of the question at hand but it is evident from your response, I misunderstood. Also, "You don't just assume because of Y that Z is true", well, my answer for that is: 1- I can and will ASSUME anything I please and 2- you simply can't argue with statistics!!! I was in the process of doing the research, waiting for a call to be returned from the Crime Analysis Unit of the local Police Dept. when I ran across this website, so I thought, in the mean time I will see what answer I get here. With that said, I DID get the information I was seeking and I repeat, "you can't argue with statistics"!!!!! By your answering my question the way that you did, you assumed I was too ignorant to find the information I needed, I guess I can say to you, "You don't just assume because of Y that Z is true". The difference being, the assumtion I was making, has now been proven. Have a good day.

#6 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Not clear why you're inferring "offen[se]" into anything I said.  :)

"What are you, like 8 yrs. old?"

Also not clear why anything in my response would indicate I'm "immature".  :)

"Condescending" is in the eye of the reader in this medium, I'm afraid.

"... I truly thought I would receive an answer from an adult professional that could keep personal views and judgements out of the question at hand ...."

Not clear what "personal views and judgements" you're referring to, but even if they were, do you mean like YOUR personal views and judgments about folks who qualify for public assistance with paying their rent (but not so bad off that they need to live in public housing)?  :)

"I can and will ASSUME anything I please ...."

Absolutely, but it would be stupid.

"... you simply can't argue with statistics!!!"

Sure I can (and it doesn't even sound like you know what statistics are involved, given you evidently haven't bothered to do a criminal stats check on the area in which you've expressed interest in living).

"By your answering my question the way that you did, you assumed I was too ignorant to find the information I needed...."

If I'd even thought about it -- and I didn't -- I might presume you were too lazy and hoped that the landlord was obligated to tell such a thing.

"Have a good day."

You too.

#7 blackjack0417

blackjack0417

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

AMAZING!!! Out of everyone that could have responded to my question, I get YOU!! :)

That's it for me and FindLaw, I won't be back and I will block any further correspondence sent to me.

If I would have only known when I made my innocent post that I would let myself be drawn into bantering with someone who pleasures themself by mixing words and verbal stabs, I never would have signed up.

I never meant any ill intent by what I asked and now I'm sorry I even gave my time to this forum.

No need to respond, I won't check the response. But it's evident that you weren't here to help with questions, you are just looking to entertain yourself using this website. Glad I could oblige, now it's time to move on to your next victim.

#8 FindLaw_Nira

FindLaw_Nira

Gold Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

In looking at the Fair Housing Act (LawBrain), there doesn't seem to be a landlord requirement to give notice to new/potential tenants regarding Section 8 tenants.

Here are a few helpful resources:

[Please remember to be respectful to users of FindLaw Answers. Discussion is encouraged so long as it remains respectful. Personal attacks are not allowed. - Moderator]

#9 blackjack0417

blackjack0417

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I didn't intend to check back on the next response but I did and I am glad. Thank you kindly,Nira, for the information you posted, I wish yours was the first response I was given and my frustration with Fallen wouldn't have been an issue.

As for the notation from the Moderator: 

[Please remember to be respectful to users of FindLaw Answers. Discussion is encouraged so long as it remains respectful. Personal attacks are not allowed.]

I hope that message was sent to "Fallen" also.

Thank you, again, Nira, for your kind, helpful, informative and professional response. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users