Bonuses not paid

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 notpaid2010

notpaid2010

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

My company had a bonus policy for management employees. It was based only on facility profitability. My facility made a profit, however, the corporation as a whole did not make a profit, so corporate decided, after the year was over, not to pay any bonuses. Is this legal? Can I sue for money owed? This is worth $50,000.00 to me alone, not to mention several other managers that should have been paid a bonus

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

"Is this legal?"

Why would you think it's unlawful?  Bonuses aren't something the employer is required to give you, and policies can change.

"Can I sue for money owed?"

Sure, but unless the employer and you have a contract requiring them to pay you this money, I wouldn't expect to win.  Even if this is a formal policy or informal one, that doesn't mean an employer can't say "Hey, Joe, you didn't get the memo; this bonus is discretionary."

You cannot count on bonuses ... or a job for that matter.  Even if there is a contractual obligation, that doesn't mean it can't be breached. 

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users