Jump to content


Excessive Noise

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bryanb73


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

I live in an an apartment complex in Euless, Texas.  We have complained to our management about excessive noise coming from adjoining apartments from ours.  Stereo equipment is being operated so loud that the walls vibrate and we are now experiencing hearing difficulty.  There have been tenants slamming doors so hard it rattles the walls and knocked windows loose.  We also called the police department and complained about it, but it has been useless.  We've heard several others complain about it directly to the tenants, so we aren't the only ones.

The City of Euless has an ordinance against excessive noise and we've even contacted Code Services.  We are current with our rent and have been for several months.  We thought about contacting an attorney, however, we can't afford one right now.  We are now on a six month lease period.  Any suggestions?  Do we just keep putting up with the noise?

#2 Fallen


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

I presume you've been very careful to identify it and have approached the neighbor without success.  (People can misinterpret that sound is coming from next door when in fact it's coming from above or below and just vibrating through the walls, so I gather you've put an ear to the front door of the unit in question and proceeded accordingly.)

If the local government officials you can contact outside of law enforcement won't help (and presumably you've contacted the commanding officer of the station in charge of your area too), then all you can do is write to the landlord and say that this tenant is affecting everyone's quiet enjoyment and that their refusal to address (even if it means via eviction) means that you'll have to petition the landlord-tenant court to order them to address.  I don't see an attorney helping or being cost-effective.   I'd urge other tenants to do the same.  I'd send the letter via certified mail and show on it that a copy went regular mail.  If you aren't willing to follow up with actual legal action, however, don't bother.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users