Statute of Limitations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheGuardian1228

TheGuardian1228

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

I want to take a landlord to small claims for money he owed us and we have not received it. We stayed in the house for two days because we found out it was infested with cockroaches, fleas and huge spiders. He has never paid the rent back that we paid him. Is there a statute of limitations, and if so how long is it? It will be one year at the end of July so we really need to know.

Thank you

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Have no idea where you are, and that matters, but I know of no state where a breach of contract action regardless of whether the contract was oral or in writing that would be less than a couple of years.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users