• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tazman556

Tazman556

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:03 AM

Hi,
my question is do the police,(city or state) have the right to perform police actions on private property with or with out the permission of the property owner? i.e. Speed trap with Laser from a private drive way off of public street.

#2 Badge203

Badge203

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

Sure they can.

If the property owner does not approve they can tell the officer to move, but that would not void out the ticket you received.

It is not an issue at all if the property owner does not care, and most don't and in a lot of cases, the officer is running traffic enforcement because the property owners have complained about speeders in their neighborhood and want traffic control.

If you plan on going into court with the notion that the officer was running radar on property property, you will not get anywhere.

#3 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

And it's not a speed trap either.

#4 Tazman556

Tazman556

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:27 AM

I'm not sure who is giving the answers to the questions ,but they seem to be quite full of themselves. All I wanted was an answer to a question. The first person assumed I received a ticket. Something a professional would refrain from doing. The third person could proofread their answers. This may come in handy before you submit court documents. No how about coming off your high horses and be more professional and less like students that are trying to prove they are more than they really are.

#5 Badge203

Badge203

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

Your question was answered as you asked it.

If you left out information, that is on you. You didn't say if you got a ticket or not, but by the layout of your question, you led one to believe you did. If you didn't then good for you, but then there is no need for the question, unless you are the student.

I am not hung up on myself or am I a student, I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and am the day shift supervisor of a pretty good size police midwestern police department, so I am not full of myself at all. You however, seem to not like the answer, but truth is still the truth even if you don't like it.

You asked the question can a police officer run radar on private property. The answer was yes then, and it is still yes now.

The other response was also accurate, This enforcement is not a speed trap. It is an enforcement detail.

#6 Balisada

Balisada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

Howdy,

Most questions that are put forth here are from folks who have received a citation and have a question of some sort regarding it.

There are a fair amount of "homework questions" put forth by folks who are hoping that someone will answer his questions for him, thus saving the trouble.

Not so many questions are put forth (at least that I have found) that are asked because two folks are having a discussion on something and want to know who is right, and so the question asked is asked for academic purposes.

#7 hicks12345

hicks12345

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

#8 hungryteapot

hungryteapot

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

I was just curious about this also. I searched Google for "do police have to ask permission to conduct a speed trap on private land". I have not received a ticket, nor am I a student.

The reason I was curious was that I saw the local police conducting a speed trap... I'm sorry, enforcement detail from my churches parking lot, and just wondered if they had permission, or indeed if they required permission. I don't really mind either way, I was just curious.

I think it is a bit much to assume that curious people are trying to get out of a ticket. I also think that you got a bit over defensive about using the term 'speed trap'. There's really no need to get into semantics here. It is just known as a speed trap in common parlance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users