marrying a mexican national

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zonies1

zonies1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

i am a us citizen. my bride to be is a mexican national. she lives in mexico. i live in phx,az. if we marry in mexico do i need a prenup or is the marriage not recognized in the us law system?

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

I the marriage is performed in accordance with Mexican law and is valid in Mexico, it's equally valid in the United states and everywhere else in the world.  Whether you have a prenuptial agreement is irrelevant as far as the validity of the marriage is concerned.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,837 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

"if we marry in mexico do i need a prenup or is the marriage not recognized in the us law system?"

The two parts of this disjunctive don't appear to have anything to do with each other.

Whether you "need" a prenup is something we cannot possibly know and about which reasonable minds might differ.  However, where your marriage ceremony takes place has nothing to do with the need for a prenup.

Nor does a prenup have anything to do with the validity of your marriage.

Every U.S. state will recognize your marriage as valid no matter where the ceremony takes place as long as it is done according to the laws of the country where it takes place.

If that doesn't answer your question, you'll need to clarify what you're asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users