Jump to content


Motion to Intervene

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alanawood


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:56 AM


Our daughter is going up against GA DFCS in a TPR trial next month. We, (maternal grandparents), have been kept out of the picture of "standing" by DFCS with false allegations. We ould like to try and stop the TPR if possible and would like to care for our grandbaby before she is adopted by the foster parent.

We don't know for sure but thought we might need to file a Motion To Intervene and I suppose file for custody/guardianship. We love her so much and although DFCS believes our daughter, more than likely will not change her life given a little more time. Of course it would have to be a really huge change before we would allow the baby around her nuch, right bot.

In GA is there a specified time period that we would need to file the motion in? We realize this is late in the game but they have biggg plans on her being adopted out. They have no idea that we are still going to fight!


Thank you,

Alana Woods

#2 Ted_from_Texas


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,234 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

I'm not familiar with this level of detail of Georgia civil procedure, but in general, grandparents do not have standing to intervene.  You certainly can try, and worst case your motion will be denied.  A local family law attorney can advise you whether in your particular circumstances intervention is possible, and if so what documents to file and how to prepare them.

Your best bet might be to speak to the child's caseworkwer and let him or her know you are available for placement.  You don't say why the child was placed with a foster family in the first place.  Other things being equal, DFCS usually prefers relative placement over foster placement, so there may be facts in your case that aren't apparent in your message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users