Financial responsibility - Bed Bugs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lkjlkjlkj22

lkjlkjlkj22

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

I am not sure my question is part of Texas Property Law. This involves an extended stay hotel and the law that explains their responsibility for treatment for BED BUG infestation. The lady across from me has lived at this hotel for 3+ years, she is disabled, on Social Security Disability and is now faced with bed bugs in her apt. She first discussed the problem with the Manager 6 months ago, he called a pest control company, got a bid which he said was $2,500 and told her the hotel would not pay to have her place treated.  She shared this with me and she once again spoke to the Manager and got the same answer.  She then offered to move everything out , treat with chemicals herself if he would at least replace the carpet.  He said he spoke to their executive office and they said they would not treat or replace the carpet. Yesterday we started working on moving everything out, treating with chemicals after I did extensive research on exactly how to be sure she does not bring them back in. Knowing the carpet has eggs he did agree to let us throw away the carpet and pad, she will be living on concrete floors.  Someone here told the the Manager that we did not agree with the action he was taking, he got mad, showed up at her door at 7 AM and basically told her that if he heard one more word from either of us he would throw our asses out. She got scared, I got ####, I finally found the phone number of the Exec office  but she does not want me to call, she does not want to pack and move.   They are doing nothing. We are taking out the carpet, I ordered the chemicals, and finally the QUESTION.  We live in Dallas Texas, where do I find laws pertaining to the hospitality industry. She is on a limited income, is spending lots of $$$ taking on the burden of this problem, throwing away her mattress and box springs! Do you know of any organizations that provide financial assistance for bed bugs. Your assistance would be a great help. Tks 

#2 FindLaw_Sarah

FindLaw_Sarah

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

Does this occupant have some special contract with the manager? She appears to be more of a renter than a guest. If the law finds a landlord-tenant relationship between them, then she may have stronger legal rights against the manager. The links below suggest possible legal theories that may apply to her case.

Click on the links below for further information:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users