Jump to content



  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic



    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

I have been having electrical problems with this house for awhile now. I have been contacting the landlord since January about my utility bill going from 189 to 400 dollars a month. He has promised me that he would take care of the electrical problem everytime i call him. I called him and he refuse to answer or return my call what do I do?

#2 FindLaw_Sarah


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

Try contacting your landlord in writing. What state are you located in?  You can check FindLaw's Learn About the Law page to research different topics of law. Since laws vary upon jurisdiction, please provide a little more background information which includes your state. The links below will take you to sites with useful information. Good luck.

#3 Fallen


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:51 AM

I trust you've asked the local building-code enforcement folks to come do an inspection and perhaps cite the landlord.  If not, do that.  :)

Stop *calling* and start memorializing things in writing.  I'd send a letter summarizing dates of contact and conversations.

Read your state's landlord tenant info.  It will set out remedies for dealing with repair-related issues.  At bare minimum, you can file a petition against landlord in local court.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users