Abandoned Property

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie01

newbie01

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

We  recently purchased some land in PA.  The land had an old house trailer on it previously used as a hunting camp.  We advertised the trailer for free to anyone interested.  A person wanted it.  He agreed to remove it from our property within 2 weeks.  We went to a notary and transferred the title of the trailer  to this person.  This occurrred at the beginning of July 2009.  The problem is that the trailer is still sitting there.  We have no idea what to do to force this person to remove his trailer from our property.

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,980 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

It's not clear how you gained title to this trailer in the first place, and you do not explain.  I presume the owner of the land had clear title to it and signed it over.

I'm afraid you need to talk with counsel in your state about what abandoned property laws are and what kind of formal written notice you'd need to send to this person and how long you'd have to wait before you can remove, sell or otherwise dispose of the trailer.  (You're also free to sue for specific performance of the contract terms to get a court to order him to remove it, but that might be more trouble than it's worth.)

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 newbie01

newbie01

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

You are correct.  Previous owner of the land signed over title as part of the sale.  Not sure why that matters...?  We, in turn, signed over title when this person called and said they wanted it.  Anyway, it sounds like we're going to need to talk to an attorney.  Thanks! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users