Living in an RV on private property

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgiaDiver

GeorgiaDiver

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

We own land in McIntosh County, GA and plan to build a house there.  Unitl it is completed we plan to live in our RV on this land. Is this legal? We own the property. Why can't we stay on our property until the house is built instead of an RV park causing undue financial burden, especially since our RV is worth more than many houses in McIntosh County.

#2 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,042 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:35 AM

"Is this legal?"

I don't see why not, but it would seem you'd need to address this with the local county folks.  (If there's no HOA involved with your property, that is.  If there is, there may very well be rules against such an arrangement.)   I'd presume you'd need the proper water resouces and sewer/septic facility (though you might be able to force the latter issue by showing the county you have a contract with a company to come pump out the RV's self-contained tank however often), etc.   If you've already contacted the county about this and they've said "no" (or you started living there and someone called the county on you), then you might have said so in the post.  :)  If that happened, you talk with a local real estate attorney.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 GeorgiaDiver

GeorgiaDiver

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

This is seven acres in the woods with well, septic tank, and power.  About 2.5 acres have been cleared for our house and yard.  Our property is surrounded by several hundred acres of woods,( no neighbors on this side of the road.)  There are a few homes in the area, but they are on wooded areas also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users