Jump to content


WA State Accident Fault, Damages

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aaronfirebrand


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

   In King county, WA, I was involved in a 2-car accident. I was at a single-lane stop sign preparing to turn right, but a large amount of broken glass in the road was obstructing a normal tight turn, and I had to move forward into the road in order to turn around the glass. I proceeded straight into the roadway, with my right turn signal on, and made the right turn.
   As I was completing my turn, and straightening my front wheels, I was struck by another vehicle turning right onto the roadway. The other vehicle had proceeded from the same stop sign as I had, and was behind me, but drove over the glass, into the road and into my vehicle. The other vehicle's front left impacted my right rear wheel and fender, pushing me a foot or so to the left.
   I pulled over to sort it out with the other driver, but he didn't stop, so I pulled back into the road to try to stop him, or at least get the license of the vehicle. I got the needed information and returned home to call a county deputy to make an accident report. Both the deputy and I were unable to discern any damage except to the fender, so an accident report was not filed, however I did get an incident report number. As I first thought that the damage was not great, I planned to forget the matter.
   It was later determined that significant damage had occurred and my vehicle had to go to a shop for an estimate. Because of the damage, I had to have some repairs made in order to drive the car, but not all repairs were made.
   I have been in contact with the insurance co. representing the other driver, but all they've offerred is 50 % of damages. Now I'm forced to file in small claims court to try to recover damages.
   I feel that I was not at fault, that I was in the roadway before the other driver left the stop line, and that I had the right-of-way. I feel I was taking due care by steering around the glass to enter the lane, and that the other driver was negligent in entering the roadway.
   I have very limited funds, so even a filing fee is a hardship, but I feel that I should do everything I can to recover my losses, which will be around 2000-2500.
   Should I proceed to small claims court? Should I contact the other driver to see if he will pay my damages, thus avoiding court? Should I obtain the help of an attorney?
   I'm just lost in all of this.

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

If you feel the 50% settlement is not sufficient to cover your damages, then I suggest you speak to local counsel about this issue. You may wish to use FindLaw: King County, WA Car Accident Lawyers Directory. Many of the lawyers do offer a free consultation. Let us know how it goes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users