• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tgasper

tgasper

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:33 AM

~Iowa Case~

The mother of my child and myself have been going through a visitation battle for months now, an order was finally entered just a month or so ago.

I am having large issues with harassment on the part of the custodial parent, the mother.

Before the order was entered, the text messages and emails came but not in such large abundances, they were mainly her telling me how she thinks I should do things and whatnot. But now, I am constantly getting text messages, some with good reason but most in just an attacking and harassing manner.  I get text messages stating I am a liar, and that I am a sperm donor to my child, that I will get what I deserve and these text messages will come every 3 seconds at times.  I have photographed all text messages and have them for reference and evidence.

I feel like this type of behavior is something I should be able to get controlled. I am worried that if I am to obtain a restraining order against her, it will interfere with my visitation of my child. 

Help! Ideas?

#2 NewOneNow

NewOneNow

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

A restraining order will in no way (legally) affect your visition.  Custody/support/visitation are all court ordered and if the child's mother does not abide by the order then you can file for contempt.

The restraining order should be specific in that she that she cannot contact you with harassing, derogatory statements, etc.  You don't want her to (and she should not) stop contacting you with information regarding your child - (health, school info, etc), so it needs to be specific.

Good luck.

#3 newmommy001

newmommy001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

My friend's ex was doing the same to him-harassing him via text messages. He was not allowed to bring them to court and show the judge because there are no cell phones allowed in court. He was told he's have to e-mail the text messages to himself and print them out if he wanted them to count. You can probably show the police the texts straight from your phone and get a restraining order, but when it comes time for court you may have to have them printed out in one way or another. It really just depends on the judge though, some will allow you to bring the phone in to show them, other's won't.  I can't see how a picture of a text message would be too clear, but make sure it's got her number on it to prove it's from her.   If you get a restraining order, make sure it states the only time she is allowed to be within X amount of feet of you is when u are picking up or dropping off your child.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users