No unemployment check after 9 weeks out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyrat

jimmyrat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:49 AM

I was terminated from my position #### Lowe's Home Improvement store on July 8, 2009. and on that day I filed for unemployment insurance. Well, it is now September 10 and still no unemployment check! Lowe's didn't correspond with employment security commission as to what the circumstances were concerning my dismissal. What should I do now or what, if anything can be done for such a long delay. I am broke and getting very near to foreclosure. Need some help!

Jimmy

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:57 AM

And so you contacted the unemployment office and they said what?

#3 jimmyrat

jimmyrat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:32 AM

I'm not sure, but I believe North Carolina law for such cases is, "if no unemployment security insurance is received after 8 weeks, then the employer must hire back". If anyone has a clearer idea than that, I would like to know.

#4 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,679 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:42 AM

Please don't post anything entirely in italics (or any other attribute).

I don't know where you got the idea that an employer has to hire you back if you don't get unemployment benefits.  That's incorrect.

You were asked whether you contacted the unemployment commission folks to ask about the status of your claim -- you didn't answer that question.  I suggest you contact the state unemployment folks and ask them why your benefits aren't forthcoming.  Just because your employer chooses not to respond to a claim notice doesn't mean the state should just sit on it.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users