Opening someone elses mail

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 futurecpa09

futurecpa09

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:56 AM

I know it is illegal to open someone else's mail and to withhold the mail if the recipient is requesting their mail. My boyfriend and his ex broke up almost 3 years ago. he has had numerous problems with her sence and he is in the court process of pressing charges for those incidents. He has changed his address and a package was still accidentally delivered to his old address( a house they both currently own). She called and told him that there was a package for him, he told her he would be by in a little while to get it. A little while later she called back and told him the package got opened, and then tried to lie and say their 6 year old son opened it. My boyfriend and I know she did it, it's just how she is.
   I know that it is a federal offense to open someone elses mail, but how do we go about pressing charges against her for this and adding it to the list of a million other charges we have on her?

#2 GuessAgain

GuessAgain

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

First you can't "press" charges.   Violation of a federal statute would be determined and criminal proceeding initiated by the US Attorney's Office.  Second, how do you propose to prove that the 6 year old did not open the package?  Move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users