Automatic Contract Renewal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackal121865

jackal121865

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

I have a security monitoring company that is telling me my service contract was automatically renewed for another year because I didn't fax them a letter requesting termination of service 30 days before the contract expired. The house is a rental property in Iowa. I thought the contract would automatically go month to month under Iowa law. Which one of us is right???

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,327 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:18 AM

How do you expect us to know?  We haven't read your contract with this company.  Why don't you read it and see what it says?  If, for some reason, you were thinking that Iowa law prohibits automatic renewal of contracts, it does not.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Pierre_*

Guest_FindLaw_Pierre_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

I think the best course of action is to re-read your contract and see what it says. Your presumption that it goes month to month is based on landlord-tenant law. Service contracts are not governed by the same laws. If you do not have a copy of your contract you should ask the monitoring company for the language that they are relying on.

Just give them a call tomorrow and ask. Its easy as that.

If you are still not satisfied, you may just want to find out what they cancellation penalty is and make a decision.

May I ask why exactly do you not want to renew the contract?

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users